Saturday, November 20, 2010

love basketball & leadership


Leadership. This is a term that my father has taught his five children to strive for and a definition that he has demonstrated. Growing up and still today my dad has taken over the Overlook Sports Association and turned it into a place where kids can get away from all their problems and just play baseball. A couple of years ago my dad was running the Police Academy League of Basketball and was coaching girls youth age 10u. He realized with working and keeping up with winter baseball training for his other teams that it was just too much. He asked me if I’d take over the girl’s basketball team for him and with all of the hard work he does I couldn’t say no. My dad coached me when I was younger and I had gone to a couple of practices with his new team so I was pretty confident in running the practice without him. I have coached the girls for two years now. I believe even though they are young I’ve taught them teamwork and dedication. Whenever they’ve lost a game they respectfully shake the other teams hand. I’ve never felt so responsible over anything before. Those girls mean so much to me and its crazy to see how much they’ve learned and how many bad habits they’ve dropped. I’m sad to say that now that I’m in college and don’t have my car I can’t coach them this year so as of right now there is no team. Being able to teach younger girls coordination, respect and responsibility means a lot to me and to the parents of the girls I coached. Next year when I have my car I hope I can get the same group of girls back together but if not I know that I have left a little bit of me in all of them. 

1 comment:

  1. http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2221382/2/istockphoto_2221382-girl-with-curls-and-basketball.jpg

    ReplyDelete